Manda Bay, a jewel in Kenya’s stunning coastline, is the perfect escape for families, honeymooners, and couples looking for the ultimate ‘no shoes, no news’ experience. The small boutique lodge is located on the tip of an unspoilt, idyllic island in Lamu’s archipelago where you kick off your shoes and enjoy simplistic beauty in palm thatched cottages and open living spaces.
A Safari Lodge on the Beach
Barefoot costal luxury with all the watersports you could wish for.
English and Swahill
Deep-sea fishing, Snorkelling, Kayaking, Stand-up Paddle Boarding, Kite surfing, Sailing, Dhow-trips, Cultural visit to Lamu Town, Spa Therapy, Yoga and Relaxation.
To reach Manda there is a scheduled flight from Nairobi Wilson airport to Lamu airport, from where a Manda representative will collect you for the 20 min boat ride to Manda Bay. Alternatively, we can organize a private charter to collect you from your preferred pick up location to land at Manda airstrip which is less than a 5 minute drive to the lodge.
Manda Bay offers beautiful beach front accommodation, informal pampering and barefoot luxury. All the buildings are in keeping with the local landscape and are constructed using local building techniques incorporating palm leaves and driftwood.
- 11 Beachfront rooms where you can dive into the Indian Ocean from your private veranda.
- 5 Seaview rooms which are set back slightly from the beach but still the same views of the ocean.
- 4 Garden Rooms which are simpler in style and designed to make family travel more affordable.
- Beach bar
- Fishing boat
- Games Room
- Hair dryers and dressing gowns
- Phone/camera charging facilities
- Sea views
- Snorkeling equipment
- Watersports equipment – kayaks, laser sailboats and stand up paddle boards.
- Wifi and phone signal
- Yoga Studio
Top 5 Things To Do
- Spend a day on the Manda Bay fishing boat ‘Cheza’. Try your luck at deep sea fishing and have the chance to catch a yellow fin tuna, sailfish or wahoo to name a few.
- Take the family on a water-sports excursion with our large array of equipment including banana boats, screamers, laser sailboats, kayaks, water skis, wake boards and snorkelling equipment. Manda Bay is an ideal location to teach many of these activities to first-timers, as the sea surrounding the lodge is safe, calm and warm.
- Immerse yourself in some local culture and take a boat ride to the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Lamu. Do a walking tour and some shopping in this fascinating historical town.
- Hire a private ‘dhow’ (sail boat), go snorkeling and enjoy a picnic lunch on board one of these historical boats. A dhow safari takes you to nearby islands to visit pristine beaches, isolated villages and historical ruins that tell of the cultural and natural treasures that are nestled within the region
- While staying at Manda Bay, leave the white sandy beaches to explore the bushy lands behind the lodge. There are many animals on Manda island, include a resident herd of buffalo, which can be viewed from Manda’s famous blue safari car.
- From $385 per person per night and $280 per child (5 to 15 years old)
- Included in the rate is full board accommodation, airstrip transfers, use of the swimming pool, sundowner excursions, games room, yoga room, kayaking, sailing, windsurfing, SUP boarding, laundry and wifi.
- Make the most of our Stay for 4, Pay for 3 offer which means you get one night free. Expires 14th December 2020.
- Terms and conditions apply
“The hotel was quiet, well decorated, comfortable, all dressed with ecological materials, in close contact with unspoiled nature and an endless beach just for you. The food was exquisite and each meal was served in a different spot. A dream that surpassed all our expectations. A huge compliment to the whole team!”
Matias, October 2019
“There are some hotels you stay in that you will never forget; Manda Bay is just that kind of place. From the moment you step on to the sand in this secluded paradise, you forget the outside world even exists and are spoilt with sights, sounds and smells that will make you never want to leave. We are missing dinner under the stars and everything else that Manda has to offer. The only solace is that we know we will be back.”
James C October 2019
“We stayed at Manda for 5 nights and it was just perfect. Our welcome was so warm and friendly (Sham is endlessly kind) and the hospitality throughout our stay was fantastic. The days were filled with walking, swimming, fishing, snorkelling, canoeing and staring at the beauty of the place. The highlight was a trip out on a Dhow with a lovely local family – amazing food and fantastic snorkelling. I couldn’t recommend Manda Bay highly enough.”
Deborah S December 2019
For many Manda Bay is all about relaxation, sitting by the pool with a good book and a cocktail in hand, paddle boarding down the peaceful mangroves, sleeping on a hammock or walking down the private beach taking in the peace and quiet. For others, it is all about an active holiday and our extensive collection of watersports equipment and our deep-sea fishing boat Cheza, will be sure to keep you entertained.